Samhain is here!!! The weather is not very nice today so I won’t be taking my children trick or treating this year but they will still dress up and pass out candy to those who will venture the ugly weather.
How have you gotten your Ancestor altar ready? Here is a picture of mine.
On my Ancestor altar I honor those members of our family that have passed. I also place items that may have been belonged to them. Below is a picture of my maternal grandmother Carmen and grandfather Portalatin. I am still working on getting pictures of my paternal ones Senencia and Herminio. It is hard to get them because I never got to meet them in his lifetime and I am just now establishing a relationship with my biological father.
On this frame there are more pictures because in my husband’s side of the family more members have passed. There is a picture of his mother Jeannine, her sister Bonnie and their parents Blanche and Joe. I was fortunate enough to meet Aunt Bonnie and Grandpa Joe, they were lovely people that will forever hold a special place in my heart.
These pair of grandparents were inherited by my husband from Grandpa Joe and have become the focal point.
On Samhain the family sits down and we (my husband and I) share some of our fondest memories of them with our children. We light candles throughout the month of October and even a few days after Samhain to honor them and we let them know that they are always welcomed in our home. Once I set up their memorial over the hearth the candles , the frames and the hearth are anointed with my own blend of Ancestor Oil.
Ancestor Oil Recipe
- 4ml Almond Base Oil – to call forth their ancestral wisdom
- 1ml Sesame Base Oil – to open the channels of communications
- 1 drop Chamomile EO – to call forth love, protection, peace and purification
- 2 drops Tahitian Gardenia – to call forth peace, love, protection and to attract the good spirits
- 2 drops Rose EO – to call forth love, peace, harmony
- 3 drops Rosemary EO – to call forth peace, protection and remembrance for those who have passed
- 1 drop Wormwood EO – to call forth protection, love and call out to their spirits
- 3 Needles of Yew (herb) – to call forth love, compassion and it is used for death rituals
- 5 Needles of Rosemary (herb) – to call forth peace, protection and remembrance for those who have passed
***Please always research the materials used in this recipe for possible allergies and/or health risks***
How do you honor your ancestors? What little niche in your home do you dedicate to them?